Tuesday, January 11, 2011

BP4_Dabbleboard


One element of my action research project focuses on improving my visual thinking skills so that I can incorporate more visual-spatial intelligence in my teaching, as well as strengthen my ability to think and learn through images.  So when I was looking for a Web 2.0 tool to review in this blog post, I went to the website at http://www.go2web20.net/ and searched for visual thinking tools.  The tool named Dabbleboard caught my eye, so I clicked on the link to check it out.

Dabbleboard is a web-based digital whiteboard that makes it easy to draw diagrams, brainstorm, create mind maps, flow charts, decision trees, organization charts, floor plans, user interface designs and use a variety of other visual thinking strategies with a simple click of the mouse.  One of the most interesting features is that a user can draw a shape that approximates a circle or one corner of a rectangle and the tool automatically recognizes the shape and creates a perfect circle, square or rectangle that can be easily scaled, moved or copied - all with a click of the mouse.  There are also toolkits for flowcharting, drawing floorplans, sports, network design, etc. that other users have created and shared in the Public Library.  The tool also makes it easy to draw freehand objects, change colors, group objects together, enter text and save drawings for later use.

Here are two examples of how I used Dabbleboard to test out some of its features.  In the first example I drew a simple floorplan to help me to decide where to put my new high definition 40" LCD television and the two new chairs that are being delivered to my house on Thursday - just in time for Saturday's big playoff game between my Green Bay Packers (yes, I am an owner) and the Atlanta Falcons. 

Dabbleboard - Simple Floor Plan


In the second example I conducted a short brainstorming session (with myself) to come up with some of the DOs and DON'Ts I have been reading about as I review peer reviewed articles on using PowerPoint in university and corporate settings.  I must admit that I was skeptical at first when I read the description of all that this whiteboard tool can do - it seemed too good to be true.  But sure enough, the tool is fast and easy to use.  There are a number of tutorial videos that demonstrate the possibilities and it appears that more and more users are sharing their content in the public library.  The tool seems quite flexible, especially since no hardware is required besides a computer, mouse and Internet connection.  Users can also easily share their drawings with others and you can even import other file types, like jpegs and pdfs and then use the Dabbleboard tools to highlight key sections of those documents or suggest revisions with team members who can see and write on the same interactive whiteboard from distant locations.  I can't wait to try this tool out with my executive MBA students.

Dabbleboard - Brainstorming session


There is a free version available, which can be easily upgraded to a pro version that has increased functionality.  Prices for educators include a 50% discount, although the only subscriptions that are available right now are month-to-month for $4.  One major downside of the tool is that it is not compatible with the iPad and the customer service representative told me via email that they do not plan to create an iPad or iPhone app - at least not in the near future.

All in all, Dabbleboard seems like it could be a great tool for me to use to strengthen my visual thinking skills.  I am looking forward to trying it out and sharing it with my critical friends.  Stay tuned for future examples of how Dabbleboard adds value to my action research project.

1 comment:

  1. I think this is an awesome tool that you found. I immediately began to think about how this tool can be used with co-workers to share information. I especially loved the fact that you did a floor plan layout. I was wondering what they meant by a floor plan feature. I am wondering if the chair images were already pre-loaded, or you are an incredibly talented computer drawer. If so where there chairs and desks that would be used in a classroom, I can see myself using this to plan a seating chart that can also be used as a visual for the classroom.

    ReplyDelete