Thursday, January 13, 2011

BP7_One Minute Movie

For this One Minute Video assignment I visited http://www.dabbleboard.com and used the Apple Grab utility to take some screen shots as I toured the website.  I saved the screen shots to the ETC One Minute Video project folder on my desktop and then imported them into my iPhoto library so I could access them through the media browser in iMovie. 

I then used Telestream's screen capture software Screenflow to create a simple screen cast using the Sports' Toolkit in Dabbleboard's Public Library.  After editing the screencast to include callouts that highlighted the movements of my cursor, I exported the screen cast as a .mov file (Quicktime) and added the file to my iPhoto movie library so I could easily import it into my iMovie project.

At that point I "went analog" and sketched out a storyboard to show the order of the screen shots, along with the script I would use in the voice-over narration.  With my script and storyboard in hand I opened up iMovie and used the drop and drag feature to collect the screen shots and Screenflow video clip from the media browser and add them to my ETC One Minute Movie project.  After adjusting the timing of each still photo (i.e. screen shot) and trimming the screencast clip, I was ready to add titles and transitions to bring the video to the one minute target duration (no more, no less - per Rena's instructions).  Once I had all the visual elements of my movie working properly, I used two takes to add the voice-over recording.  (Much better than my last narrated iMovie which took about seven takes and more than three hours to complete.  I guess this is what we call a "learning curve" in the education business).

The last step was to add the royalty-free music jingle (i.e. Acoustic Sunrise) from the iMovie media browser, apply ducking settings so that the music did not over-power my voice-over narration and, after about two hours of work, preview my final production.  I then exported the file to Quicktime, uploaded it to my Viddler account and copied the embedding code into this blog posting.  I am actually fairly pleased with how it turned out and the new Dabbleboard, Screenflow and iMovie skills I used in the process. 

You might want to click on the FULL SCREEN button at the bottom right of the video player in order to be able to read all of the text in the screen shots.  Let me know what you think...  And thanks again for your interest in my work.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Jude!

    Great video. I didn't know about Dabbleboard. Very cool. Thanks. Hope all is going well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jude,

    I hope you don't mind. I was having some issues trying to be creative in making my one minute video and peeked at yours before I started mine. It really got my brain going in how I can construct mine. You really went in-dept with some of the aspects you put into your video and I really enjoyed it. Thanks!

    Hope things are going well for you and I am guessing you are sitting in front of the TV just as I am as the game goes on :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jude,

    I really like your posting and the content. Wow, it looks like a great resource. I've been having trouble for more than 10 hours to get a video to upload to blogger and following your notes on how you posted this one gave me some good leads. The phrase "I went analog" is very clever. I may have to borrow that one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked the fact that you can draw on the Dabbleboard. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete